Sunday 10 June 2012

D.I.Y. Sunday ♡ : Collar Tips


I've been seeing so many lovely collared shirts with collar tips/embellished collars lately I wanted to try it at home...


you will need:
-a collared shirt
-a hammer
-a pen + some paper
-metal tips
-a hair str-8-ner (apologies, straightener is a long word and I was pushed for space. Plus abbreviations r still kwl)


COLLAR TIPS: visit a haberdashery and you'll find all sorts of bits that have potential to be collar tips! I just liked these simple gold tips I found, but I've seen people using frame corners and earrings too. If you live in Cape Town: I found these at the haberdashery opposite Fabric City in Wynberg, next to the upholstery shop. p.s. they're super cheap


It's unlikely your tip and your collar will be the same angle so we've got to mould the tip to fit. First draw around your collar on some paper

(this is just to gage how much we'll need to bend the tip too get it the right shape)


heat your straightener up and pop the tip on the ceramic plate for a 20 seconds or so. Then clamp it down for a little while longer. It won't melt and ruin your straightener 'cause it's made of metal! #science! 






















If you have heavy-duty heat-retardant gloves on hand then now would be the time to whip them out, but I just used a thick towel to protect my hands. CAREFULLY slide the tip off into your well protected fingers and bend gently. It may take a few attempts to get it hot enough to bend


would ya look at that, it's the right shape now! How exciting!


Now slot your collar into the tip. It'll bend with ease now too so just reshape it until it all fits nicely. 


Hammer Time! (joke courtesy of your dad) 
Hammer down one side at a time, sealing the collar in the gold tip, but DON'T hammer the middle/point of the tip as this will reshape it yet again, undoing all your efforts with the str-8-ner, we wouldn't want that!


and you're done
YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment