Thursday 13 October 2011

barbie girl

My previous post reminded me of the first time I thought about becoming a fashion designer. 

My junior school offered all sorts of totally radical short courses as that were fun and, most importantly, meant you got to miss a day of school. I did the 'fashion design' course a few times and it sparked off a passion inside me for sticking pins into cheap Barbie dolls. It's a really fun and easy to make clothes for your Barbie this way, just drape fabric around her and press pins into her body until they're hidden to hold the fabric in place.
It was also a sweet excuse to play with Barbies as I was at that age where you're supposedly 'too old' to play with dolls (around 16) (jokes). 

My globe-travelling (absent) parents always brought me a great Barbie back from their travels. Some of my favourites:


Blue Dress Barbie with Singing Blue Bird (note: not her official name)


This gal came from France. Not only was she beautiful, but she had a RING HOLE on her hand (endless accessorising possibilities) and a blue bird who balanced on her upturned palm and SANG. So good.




Bubbling Mermaid Barbie


This babe came from Miami (obviously) and she had the ever useful ability to blow bubbles through her crown. Unfortunately on the very day I got her a friend's dickhead of a dog chewed her crown and I never put her bubble-blowing abilities to the test. Years later this dog would go on to die, so quid pro quo hey.



Olympic Gymnast Barbie



I received this Barbie in 1996 as the Olympics were taking place in Atlanta. I named her Penny Heyns.




and finally a Barbie and Ken I wish I had:

The Phantom of the Opera and Christine!

No comments:

Post a Comment